Monday, May 21, 2012

Gender and Family Life

Last week, we learned about gender and its affects on family life. I thought it was an interesting unit because in my family foundations class, we talked and memorized the second section of the proclamation which states, "All human beingsmale and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." It was cool seeing the connections between the two because I was able to connect what we were learning in class to the gospel. Something that really stood out to me was the talks and videos on same sex marriage. As a member of the church I always felt that I didn't have a good understanding where the church stood. I knew marriage was between man and women, but I didn't know how to explain same sex attraction in a affective and appropriate way. The scenarios during class helped understand what do when faced with a friend or a family member who may be having these feelings. I think we are often misinformed, therefore the class discussions really changed the way I looked at things. I gained a better testimony of the sacredness of marriage and how important gender roles are to the fathers plan of happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment