Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Family Under Stress

One of the things I thought was interesting in the class discussion was the ABC-X concept. The way we react to a certain experience within the family has a lot to do with how we react to the situation. For example, the letter A represented the actual event, before we evaluate the situation that is occurring we have to recognize what it is. Next we have B which represents behavioral responses. Behavioral responses are the specific things each of the family members do when a crisis happens. While some families may choose to come together and talk about things, others might ignore each other and handle it on their own. Lastly the C represents cognition. I think this is the most important factor when dealing with a crisis because what you think emotionally can totally change the situation. Thinking about to my family and the way we've handled family crisis's I can really see how these factors made the experience the way it did. For my family it has always been a strength builder because we've learned from our mistakes and our struggles. I don't imagine my family the way they are now without without thinking of the experiences we've had to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment