Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Transitions in Marriage

Last week we talked about the transitions into marriage. Something that stuck out to me during the class discussions was the idea of the weeding vs. the marriage. I guess I never really thought about how the wedding could have such a profound affect on a marriage. Although this is not to say that if you don't have the biggest wedding you will not have a good marriage, but the planing of the wedding does tell a lot about the other person. Decision making is crucial. I think you can tell a lot about the person and the couple in the way the plan their wedding. When I think of my parents and what they told me about their wedding it totally makes sense. When they first got married (and say first because it wasn't in the temple..dad wasn't a member a the time. We eventually all got sealed in the temple years after. ANYWHO) they had your tradtional wedding ceremony, following a reception. They were a little older 25, 28 and they knew in order to have their wedding they had to pay it for themselves. My grandma was a widow by then and had 7 other children, 3 daughters, so paying for her wedding wasn't really a option. My parents told me they paid everything for their wedding. I can see this reflecting a lot with their marriage now, because they aren't very spontaneous people. Everything always has it time and its place and since I can remember it has always been that way. Its funny to see that connection because I always wondered if its something that sort of clicked when they got married. 

No comments:

Post a Comment